Never forget that this person has survived till now without your help.
- A person who has multiple personalities is a person like you.
- The survivor is the expert on their own abuse and life…. not you.
- No matter how experienced you are, each person is a unique individual.
- Stick to sound support methods and principles.
- The survivor should be in charge of their own healing.
- Be honest.
- Check out who you are speaking with if the personality changes.
- Encourage communication with all personalities.
- Don’t keep secrets between personalities.
- Don’t get involved or take sides in any conflict between personalities, the survivor has to work things out for themself.
- Be aware that multiplicity arises out of creativity and is a means of survival and coping for the child.
- Encourage seeing the coping mechanism in a positive light